We put the Backhus A50 up against a wheel loader to compare cost-effectiveness.
We found that with an input of 60 000m³ per annum using the Backhus A50 Windrow Turner:
PROCESSING TIME is reduced from 12 weeks to 8
Reducing cycle times allows a compost site to produce more compost annually.
TURNS PER WEEK increase from one to three
More frequent turning breaks particles down more quickly and provides an opportunity to optimize composting conditions, thus accelerating the process.
TURNING CAPACITY increased from 300m³ per hour to 1800m³
This enables a windrow composting facility to increase its annual throughput capacity.
TIME PER TURN is reduced from 55 hours to 6 hours
With the loader, turning is infrequent due to the length of time required for each turn.
FUEL CONSUMPTION is reduced by 16.67% annually
This is, in part, due to a 66% decrease in working hours required each year.
Aside from the data, there are also many other benefits to using a windrow turner over a loader. The improved quality of the actual turn makes the composting process much more effective.
OXYGEN SUPPLY AND AERATION
- Oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange is achieved consistently, a fast dump with a loader prevents this.
- Oxygen provided promotes microbial activity, creating evenly spread microorganisms which break down the product.
- Improved oxygen reduces the emission of methane.
- The windrow turner completely mixes the material, the even blend maximises the interaction of carbon and nitrogen atoms
TEMPERATURE AND MOISTURE OPTIMISATION
- Releases excess heat which can kill microorganisms
- Water can be applied during the process and dispersed evenly onto the row providing an optimal microbial environment
To find out more or to have a chat with us, call GCM Enviro on 02 9457 9399